Current Employment Position
- Founder, Managing Member
- Landlord Disputes
Kevin Sutherland is the founder and managing partner at Sutherland Law, PLC, in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Kevin graduated with the highest honors in Criminal Justice from the University Of Colorado At Colorado Springs in May 2013. His exceptional performance at UCCS earned him several accolades, including his induction into the esteemed Alpha Phi Sigma – the Criminal Justice National Honors Society in April 2013. Beyond his academic achievements, Kevin actively participated as an investigator intern with the Colorado Springs, 4th Judicial District, Public Defender’s Office.
Kevin was an active member of the Student Government Association's Judicial Board. He had the rare privilege of serving as the debate moderator for the University of Colorado – Board of Regents General Election Debate in October 2012. After graduating from UCCS with distinction, Kevin returned home to Michigan to pursue his legal studies. Along with his studies, he brought back a strong sense of community fellowship.
Kevin focused on litigation during his studies, fully preparing himself for the demands of the courtroom. At Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, he demonstrated a deep understanding of the law and a strong commitment to his community. Kevin's dedication to helping military veterans led him to volunteer for the Veterans Legal Assistance Program, where he provided free legal services to those in need. Additionally, Kevin gained valuable experience working for the Kent County Public Defender’s Office, a renowned high-volume law firm, while he was still in law school.
He logged over 700 hours defending clients. He gained trial experience and demonstrated his courage to make a difference. He helped clients navigate the complex judicial system. He prepares for the challenges ahead.
Kevin was an outstanding student in law school. He achieved a spot on the prestigious WMU-Cooley National Mock Trial team in both the fall of 2015 and the winter of 2016. In February 2016, he showcased his skills as a litigation team competitor in Dayton, Ohio, participating in a civil trial sponsored by the esteemed Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA). After graduating with honors, Kevin founded Sutherland Law, PLC, with a mission to provide his fellow West Michigan residents with professional and practical legal services.
- Cooley Law School
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Volunteer, Veterans Legal Assistance Program
- Honors: WMU-Cooley National Mock Trial Team, Fall 2015 and Winter 2016
- Honors: Litigation Team Competitor, Civil Trial, Texas Young Lawyers Association, February 2016
- Honors: Distinguished Graduate
- Major: Litigation
- University Of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Honors: Graduated #1, Criminal Justice, May 2013
- Honors: Inductee, Alpha Phi Sigma, Criminal Justice National Honors Society, April 2013
- Honors: Member, Student Government Association, Judicial Board
- Honors: Debate Moderator, University of Colorado, Board of Regents General Election Debate, October 2012
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Criminal Justice
- Colorado Springs, 4th Judicial District, Public Defenders Office, Investigator Intern
- Kent County Public Defender Office