Current Employment Position
- Founder, Managing Member
- Landlord Disputes
At Sutherland Law PLC, we live in a world of ideas and strategic planning. We value intelligence, knowledge, and competence; have high standards in these regards, which we continuously strive to fulfill. We will objectively see the reality of a situation and are adaptable enough to change things that aren't working well. As strategist - we are always scanning available ideas and concepts and weighing them against current strategy to plan for every credible contingency. We are ready to work for you." -Kevin
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT COLORADO SPRINGS - B.A. in Criminal Justice
Graduated #1 in Criminal Justice, May 2013. Throughout Kevin's undergraduate education at UCCS, he excelled and was awarded various honors, including induction into prestigious Alpha Phi Sigma - the Criminal Justice National Honors Society in April 2013. Kevin was active outside the classroom as an investigator intern with the Colorado Springs, 4th Judicial District, Public Defenders Office.
He was also an active member of the Student Government Association's Judicial Board, which included the rare privilege to serve as the debate moderator for the University of Colorado - Board of Regents General Election Debate in October 2012. Kevin Graduated from UCCS with distinction and returned home to Michigan to complete his legal studies. He also brought back a strong sense of community fellowship.
WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY COOLEY LAW SCHOOL - Juris Doctorate
Prepared completely for the rigor of the courtroom, Kevin concentrated his studies on litigation. While attending WMU-Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Kevin showed legal understanding and dedication to his community. He volunteered for the Veterans Legal Assistance Program to help our community's most vulnerable military veterans access free legal services. While in law school-Kevin worked for a high-volume law firm-the Kent County Public Defender Office.
He logged more than 700 hours defending clients, gaining trial experience, and demonstrating his courage to make the difference, while helping clients navigate the complex judicial system. He prepares for the challenges.
Kevin excelled in law school. He earned a place on the WMU-Cooley National Mock Trial team both in the fall of 2015 and winter of 2016. In February 2016, he was a litigation team competitor in Dayton, Ohio, for a civil trial sponsored by the Texas Young Lawyers Association (TYLA). He graduated Cum Laude and founded Sutherland Law, PLC, to deliver professional and practical legal services to his neighbors in West Michigan.
- Western Michigan University, Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Volunteer, Veterans Legal Assistance Program
- Honors: WMU-Cooley National Mock Trial Team, Fall 2015 and Winter 2016
- Honors: Litigation Team Competitor, Civil Trial, Texas Young Lawyers Association, February 2016
- Honors: Distinguished Graduate
- Major: Litigation
- University Of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Honors: Graduated #1, Criminal Justice, May 2013
- Honors: Inductee, Alpha Phi Sigma, Criminal Justice National Honors Society, April 2013
- Honors: Member, Student Government Association, Judicial Board
- Honors: Debate Moderator, University of Colorado, Board of Regents General Election Debate, October 2012
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Criminal Justice
- Colorado Springs, 4th Judicial District, Public Defenders Office, Investigator Intern
- Kent County Public Defender Office